Sunday, January 17, 2010

First full week of work

I've been told I don't update this enough so I'll make sure this is a long post. The first full week of work was exhausting but I also enjoyed a lot of the work I did. The email routing and cleaning up of files is kind of tedious and mind numbing but I also got to do some interesting jobs. I ran around to 27 other offices and got to go to a what would MLK do forum discussion where the representative from D.C. spoke and she gave a great speech. Unfortunately my chief of staff needed me to leave early to brief him on it so I had to get up early and walk out which was so embarrassing but I had to do what he told me to. Answering the phones is probably the least fun part of my job and I really wonder how people can be so angry yet so dumb. Luckily this week I received a lot of calls about people supporting him and that they stand behind him and that was really nice to hear. I have to say I was ecstatic when it was finally the weekend though. Friday night we went to an Tech alumni's house who had done the internship and met a lot of people who had done the internship before and were currently working here so that was nice to hear. Hopefully any connections I make here will help me find a job here after I graduate. Then we went out with the first floor people to hang out which was a lot of fun. Normally the first and third floors are so separated and we don't really hang out with eachother so I really enjoyed getting to hang out with them. Yesterday we went to the National Art Gallery and the art there was amazing. Unfortunately we got there a little later than planned because everyone had slept in so we only had about an hour there and that was not enough time to see everything. We decided to go to the National Portrait Gallery so we walked down to Chinatown and luckily they were open until 7 so we had more time there. The portraits were great and I would have loved to spend more time in there reading about each person depicted but we started to get hungry and so we left to find some food. I think with some of these museums we're going to need a whole day there to see everything because they are so huge. We were walking around in Chinatown and ended up eating at this place we had seen before called Texas BBQ and it was actually really good. It made me think of home except the people working there certainly did not have the Texas hospitality you get at BBQ places in Texas. We came home and watched the Colts/Ravens game and played some games until we went to bed. For a Saturday night it was pretty relaxing but after the long week at work I think that's what everyone wanted. With the extra day tomorrow we are planning on going to Mt. Vernon and exploring that so I'm really excited about that. This city is so beautiful and there is so much to do so I am loving being here for an entire semester. Hopefully that was enough of an entry to make up for the fact that I haven't written in a week.

3 comments:

  1. Good job Emily! It is great that you are keeping busy and having fun. Sounds like you are fitting right in in the big city! Keep up the good work and keep your beautiful smile going for all to see! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blogs. Can you tell the name of your Congressman? Sounds like you are having fun and learning how to dress for the weather. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! My Congressman's name is Lloyd Doggett and he represents downtown Austin and some counties southeast of it. He is very nice but I haven't really gotten to talk to him much because he is always so busy.

    ReplyDelete