Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I know, I know I need to post a new blog...

So I know it's been a long time since I posted anything but it's just the procrastinator in me. I don't have schoolwork to procrastinate with so I had to find something else hehe! I haven't really done much but go to work and come home. I feel myself getting more and more boring as time goes on and I'm starting to wonder if this is a side effect of working full time. I don't know how people do it but I think I'm going to try to quadruple major so I never have to get out of school. Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little bit but I thought I would be used to it after 2 full months but I'm not. I bet I'll just start getting used to it the day before my last day. Work has started to get better and better though luckily and I'm getting used to answering the phones and even getting to do more interesting things. I have been to two briefings in the last two weeks and written up memos and really enjoyed doing that. The first briefing I went to was about the recent Supreme Court decision Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. The briefing was about a bipartisan poll an organization did that found out that the majority of people from both parties opposed the decision which allowed corporations to be treated the same as people in campaign finance rules. It also showed that people wanted legislation to try to curb the effects of this ruling and would reward members who voted for it by voting for them in elections. I also went to a briefing about having computerized health care records in hospitals and clinics to make them more efficient and give better care. I realized I'm not very good at being tough because every person who comes in and has a meeting and is trying to push their organization's goals makes me want to support them. I haven't really done much interesting outside of work lately because I just get so tired but I know I need to start doing more because I only have 2 months left. I did go to Georgetown this past weekend and that was so much fun. They have so many shops and it's nice to just walk around looking even if you're not going to buy anything. Luckily, I was going to buy something and I got a couple of nice shirts for work hehe. We also walked to the university campus and it was so amazing and just being there made me feel so much smarter. A few of us went to see the movie Cop Out and I wasn't expecting it to be that good but it was actually really funny. A lot of people are here from Tech this week because I guess there is a delegation having meetings with Congress members and stuff so we are doing a lot with them. We at dinner with President Guy Bailey last night and I always love getting a meal on Texas Tech considering they get a bunch of money from me every semester. Tomorrow we have a big reception for Tech that we are supposed to work the entrance table for and then we get to go to it so hopefully we get more good free food. Also on Thursday we get to have lunch with President Bailey and Chancellor Hance so we are getting great opportunities to network and make some connections that will really help us out later. President Bailey even told us all that he would be happy to write letters of recommendation or make phone calls on our behalf so it's made me realize how this internship is an amazing opportunity. Anyways... that's all Ihave for today. I know I always say I'll try to update this more often but all you guys know me so you should know better ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment